Dealing with “Head Trash” aka Negative Self-Talk
I answered a question recently on LinkedIn asking about strategies for dealing with “head trash”. You know, those negative thoughts that might keep you from doing things that really matter like spending time with family, having a conversation with your boss, looking for a new job, taking a risk, exercising for example.
I realized, why not share the list here.
Below are 6 tips to help you turn negative self-talk into more positive thought and action. I use these strategies personally and often share them with others during workshops and speaking programs.
- Notice the thoughts – awareness has to be the first step.
- Deep breathing or meditation to quiet the thoughts and stay more present
- Get curious and ask “is this true?”
- Writing it down or talking it through with a trusted friend/advisor
- Remembering “Why” – values, interests and what you’re trying to achieve
- Take action – action builds confidence, and confidence helps decrease the head trash and negative self-talk. (an activity in mind vs body)
What do you think? How do you handle negative thought patterns?